Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ramanujan and futurama's robot

:: Coffeehouse :: Main

Go down

ramanujan and futurama's robot Empty ramanujan and futurama's robot

Post  WillyNilly Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm

the science fiction sitcom, futurama, is said to feature a robot referred to by unit number 1729. in this article, science writer simon singh explains the robot's connection to the mathematician and number theorist, ramanujan.
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

ramanujan and futurama's robot Empty Re: ramanujan and futurama's robot

Post  Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:26 pm

WillyNilly wrote:the science fiction sitcom, futurama, is said to feature a robot referred to by unit number 1729. in this article, science writer simon singh explains the robot's connection to the mathematician and number theorist, ramanujan.
Could you suggest some additional reading material (articles or books) on Hardy, Ramanujan, Littlewood, et al.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Also I know that 1729 is the lowest such number, but what is the second lowest such number?

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 am

Rashmun wrote:
WillyNilly wrote:the science fiction sitcom, futurama, is said to feature a robot referred to by unit number 1729. in this article, science writer simon singh explains the robot's connection to the mathematician and number theorist, ramanujan.
Could you suggest some additional reading material (articles or books) on Hardy, Ramanujan, Littlewood, et al.
the best book about ramanujan that i've come across is a well-researched biography by robert kanigel. here are readers' reviews posted at amazon. i have a copy of the book lying somewhere.
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:48 am

WillyNilly wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
the best book about ramanujan that i've come across is a well-researched biography by robert kanigel. here are readers' reviews posted at amazon. i have a copy of the book lying somewhere.
i've read kanigel's book multiple times. i was thinking of ordering this book from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0821802879/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2H19DGEFD1U6V

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down