Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lip-smacking Nizami Food

:: Coffeehouse :: Main

Go down

Lip-smacking Nizami Food Empty Lip-smacking Nizami Food

Post  Guest Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 am

I only had one night in this city of the erstwhile Nizams and wanted to make the most of it. Luckily, The Taj Krishna where I was staying, has an excellent restaurant to try out local delicacies in an regal setting....
I began with Haleem, a preparation unique to Hyderabad and popular during the month of Ramzan (or Ramadan). This is a dish made of whole wheat and mutton that is slow cooked with spices for hours until the meat becomes soft and mushy. It is then topped with mint leaves, saffron, pure ghee and golden fried onions. The Haleem was served with lemon slices and sheermal, a speciality Indian bread. I enjoyed this dish thoroughly, savoring the unusual texture and flavors slowly in my mouth.

Next came the biryani, the imposing sounding Kacche Yakhni Dum Ki Gosht Biryani. A classic from the heritage menu of the Nizams, described the menu. Along with the biryani, I ordered Mirchi Ka Salan, another unique dish from this city made from green chillies in a spicy peanut sauce. Both the biryani and the salan were excellent. The tangy and spicy sauce of the Salan was a perfect compliment to the fragrant Biryani.
I ended my dinner with a local favorite, Khubani Ka Meetha. This dessert is made of apricots in syrup and topped with cream. The dessert was very sweet, but very different from the usual stuff! As I waited to sign my cheque, they also offered me a sweet paan to chew on!

The waitstaff were exceptional. My waiter was from Lucknow, the only other city in India that can claim to have mastered the perfect biryani. We chatted briefly about all the kabab and biryani maestros in that city (I lived in Lucknow for a number of years, a long time back).

http://www.shantanughosh.com/2008/09/lip-smacking-nizami-delights.html

Back to top Go down

Lip-smacking Nizami Food Empty Re: Lip-smacking Nizami Food

Post  QB Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 pm

enjoyed reading the link...i went ahead to find out more about haleem ( i had heard quite a bit about it but never tasted it ..though i eat only seafood now..i used to eat every living thing..back then) it does look unappetizing.

QB
QB

Back to top Go down

:: Coffeehouse :: Main

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum