Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

find the error

2 posters

:: Coffeehouse :: Main

Go down

find the error Empty find the error

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 am

find the error in the following passage which appeared in an article on rajat gupta by walter pavlo, contributor, in today's forbes:

If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.

article in forbes
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

find the error Empty Re: find the error

Post  My Utterances Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 am

If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that* he saw would see this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.

* that is also redundant but it is not an error.
My Utterances
My Utterances

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 pm

WillyNilly wrote:find the error in the following passage which appeared in an article on rajat gupta by walter pavlo, contributor, in today's forbes:

If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw would have seen this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.

article in forbes

My answer above

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:
WillyNilly wrote:find the error in the following passage which appeared in an article on rajat gupta by walter pavlo, contributor, in today's forbes:

If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw would have seen this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.

article in forbes

My answer above
that's right; "would have seen" - better still, "would see" goes with "were to" at the beginning of that sentence, but "saw" doesn't.

however, there's a far worse error.

WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 pm

My Utterances wrote:If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that* he saw would see this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.

* that is also redundant but it is not an error.
you're right about "saw"/"would see." there is, however, a far worse error.

welcome back.
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  My Utterances Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 pm

interesting professor willy. i give up. is it that a comma is missing after but? i'm curious to learn of the error.
My Utterances
My Utterances

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:51 pm

My Utterances wrote:interesting professor willy. i give up. is it that a comma is missing after but? i'm curious to learn of the error.
no, it's not a comma. hint: the error is in the second sentence. it makes that sentence meaningless.
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  My Utterances Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 pm

WillyNilly wrote:If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.
this? or "that (should have been it) alludes him?"
My Utterances
My Utterances

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:33 pm

If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw would see this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes eludes him.

article in forbes

how is that?

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:40 pm

My Utterances wrote:
WillyNilly wrote:If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes him.
no. it's at the end, in "...i'm sure it alludes him."

pavlo apparently means, "at this moment, what he can learn from the experience escapes (is not accessible to) gupta." he should have written, "i'm sure it eludes him," but instead, he wrote, "i'm sure it alludes him."

eludes = avoids, evades;

alludes = refers indirectly, implies; usually used with "to."
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:

If Gupta were to fast forward from his years as a student at IIT and Harvard, it is inconceivable that he saw would see this as an outcome. The challenge for Gupta will be to see what he can learn from this experience, but at this moment, I’m sure that alludes eludes him.

article in forbes

how is that?
yes, absolutely!
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Willy, please suggest some books which would help me improve my english grammar, vocabulary, and writing style. thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  My Utterances Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm

WillyNilly wrote:
My Utterances wrote:
no. it's at the end, in "...i'm sure it alludes him."

pavlo apparently means, "at this moment, what he can learn from the experience escapes (is not accessible to) gupta." he should have written, "i'm sure it eludes him," but instead, he wrote, "i'm sure it alludes him."

eludes = avoids, evades;

alludes = refers indirectly, implies; usually used with "to."
LOL. my silly sensitized brain! god poser prof. keep at it.
My Utterances
My Utterances

Back to top Go down

Post  WillyNilly Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:30 pm

utter-ji - may i allude to you thus? - a Q for you:

are the curry leaves on the idlies in your avatar carefully placed in their positions to seem random, or are those their true and natural random positions?

either way, they make my mouth water.
WillyNilly
WillyNilly

Back to top Go down

Post  My Utterances Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:23 am

those are their true and random positions. i had uploaded another photo to wikipedia's page on idlis when i had photographed them. in this the curry leaves do not appear but slivers of coconut do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idli#Gallery

My Utterances
My Utterances

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Coffeehouse :: Main

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum